Students are required to apply for admission to their major and specialization after completion of pre-major coursework. Each program is competitive for admission; GPA cutoffs fluctuate with every applicant pool. The competitive admissions process is based on cumulative grade point average, pre-major course completion, and enrollment capacity. Major admission is not guaranteed. Students who are not competitive for their first choice major will be considered for their second choice if indicated on the application. No more than three major courses should be completed prior to formal admission to the major and specialization.
Major & Specialization Application review does not begin until final grades have been posted for the semester. Students can submit their application while completing the final pre-major coursework. Grades of C- or better in both courses must be posted to OSU record by the time of application review.
How to Apply
- Make sure that you have fulfilled (or are fullfilling this semester) the pre-major requirements. A grade of C- or better is required in both COMM 1100 and COMM 1101 for application consideration.
- Complete the online application. The brief application form should take only a few minutes to complete. You will need the following information to complete the application:
- OSU login
- First and second choice area of study
Application review will begin once the application deadline has passed and final grades are posted for the semester. Decisions will be emailed to your OSU email address approximately 3 weeks after the application deadline.
2021-2022 Application Dates
Applications are accepted each semester during the academic year. Students can apply for admission to the major and specialization during summer, autumn, or spring semester.
Summer Semester Application
- Application Opens: June 14, 2021
- Application Deadline: August 4, 2021
Autumn Semester Application
- Application Opens: October 18, 2021
- Application Deadline: December 15, 2021
Spring Semester Application
- Application Opens: March 21, 2022
- Application Deadline: May 4, 2022
The Summer 2021 application is now closed. Please check back in October for the Autumn 2021 application.